Creative Campaign and Expert Database Management Help Association Draw Convention Attendees
Email elements earn high open rates of 18% to 34%
This international trade association hosts an annual convention for its members, public officials, and friends of the industry. In preparation for the 40th anniversary of the event, the nonprofit organization asked Curtis 1000 for help increasing attendance and awareness.
Curtis 1000 partnered with the association to create and implement a multi-touch campaign that required direct marketing, database management and postal expertise. The Curtis 1000 solution included:
- A save-the-date email and video with a link to add the event to the recipient’s Outlook calendar, plus various follow-up emails to nonresponders
- A pre-convention brochure mailing and an email with a digital version of the brochure, as well as a versioned, personalized Post-it mailing and a personal invitation from the convention director versioned by geographic region
- A personalized mailing to those who hadn’t attended a show recently that included self-mailer and PURL survey options asking for feedback on the show and why they hadn’t attended recently
- Comprehensive database management throughout the campaign that enabled the customer to target touch-point messages to specific segments and non-responders
Curtis 1000’s creative ideas and database management were the basis for the campaign’s success with attendance improving 5% over the previous year.
- The email elements had strong open rates between 18% and 34%.
- Once emails were opened, the percentage of those clicking through to additional elements ranged from 16% and 27%.
- Expert database analysis and feedback allowed the customer to assess the results of each element in order to best target future mailings and fine-tune campaigns plans for the following year.
When asked about this experience, the association’s Director of Meetings and Conventions, replied:
“This campaign reminded me of why [we have] a long history with Curtis 1000—great ideas with the data to back them up! We were able to assess the results of each element of the campaign and develop a new plan for the coming year that targets the best of the best.”